Audacity 2.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 has dropped 5 second audio chunks out of my files without any indication.
I can’t reproduce this with any reliability, other than to say it usually happens after 20+ minutes of recording.
This has happened in more than one file for me now. I’ve viewed the original source in both Audacity and GarageBand, and the data is definitely gone. There aren’t “holes” - it’s just as if I’d skipped over five seconds of text.
I’m moving all my production to GarageBand. It’s been a steep learning curve, but I’m working on an 8-hour podfic and there’s no way I can live with this level of unreliability. If you’re working on a longer project, I suggest you seriously consider the same thing. I’ve been using Audacity for years, but this is unacceptable.
If you've seen the same thing, or know what's going on there, I'd love to hear your input.
The only other thing I can think is that it's something I'm doing external to Audacity while recording -- perhaps a cloud-based incremental backup running in the background, but this seems very unlikely, and I close all other programs while I record. (I would run additional "experiments" with the backup program also closed, but I have no desire to torture myself further.)
Anyway, I just wanted to put that out there.